May 15, 1675
| Location | Eagle Pass |
|---|---|
| State/Territory | Texas |
| County | Maverick |
| Modern Diocese | Laredo |
| Historical Diocese | Unorganized |
| Date | May 15, 1675 |
| Priest | Fray Juan Larios, OFM |
| Religious Order | Order of Friars Minor (Franciscans) |
| Rite | Roman (Latin) Rite |
| Expedition | Bosque-Larios Expedition |
| Confidence | confirmed |
Documentation
Notes
On May 11 the expedition reached the Rio Grande, probably a little below the present site of Eagle Pass. Bosque took formal possession of the river, erected a wooden cross, and renamed the river the San Buenaventura del Norte. On May 15 members of the expedition celebrated what may have been the first Mass on Texas soil, in present-day Maverick County
← Back to the full map & timeline